Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Is This College?"

 
 
 
In June we went to Utah for a bike race. We went up two days before the race so Alex could get acclimated to the higher altitude. We stayed in Orem with Aunt Mary Lou and Uncle Jeff. Since we had time and we were so close, I wanted to show the kids where I went to college, so we drove to Provo to visit BYU. When we turned right onto 1450 North from 900 East Luke said, Is this college? Indeed we were at the location of the dorms where I spent my freshman year, but the buildings have been leveled and all that remains is the Morris Center (cafeteria).** Then we parked by the Bean Museum and Luke asked, "Is this college?" When we walked onto campus he again asked "Is this college?" He asked the same question when we went to the Jesse Knight Humanities Building (I'm not sure if it is still called that) where I had most of my classes and again when we went to the Wilkinson Center food court. Yes, I told him, this is all college. Most of the buildings have been remodeled since I graduated from there 13 years ago so it has a different look, but I still had the same feelings that I did when I was a student. That day was the first day of new student orientation for summer semester so parents were walking around with their kids. It made me think that someday I might be one of those parents with a new college student checking a map to locate classes. Looking back...looking forward. Anyway, if you ask Luke what his favorite part of college was, he'll say the snacks and the elevator. Well said.




**Ah Deseret Towers, my first home away from home. How I cherish the memories I made there. Having dinner with my roommates at the "Mo", special food functions, sunbathing on the roof of our building, studying late into the night, boys allowed on Sunday nights, watching TV in the basement, telephone baseball, and much more. Deseret Towers, may you rest in peace.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rebecca and Co. said...

I remember all those fun things too! And esp. the friends!!! I love you!