Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Holiday Highlights

Ah, the holidays! The most magical, beautiful, crazy, stressful time of the year. But I love it. I love the parties and the treats (a little too much!)and the shopping (I count it as retail therapy)and the giving (getting isn't bad either). Here are some of the hightlights from Thanksgiving to Christmas:

Luke was the cutest reindeer in his preschool production of "Twas the Night Before Christmas." They had great costumes including antlers. The antlers had bells on them so throughout the program Luke kept shaking his head to make the bells ring. Of course my camera was out of battery power so I couldn't get a video of that classic preschool moment.

For the ward Christmas party Lance and Luke and the rest of the junior primary sang "This is Jesus." For weeks before and after the party Lance and Luke could be heard singing "THIS is Jesus. THIS is our king. THIS is our Savior; His praises we sing!" They sang it even more than "Santa Claus is coming to town" Thank you Sis. Rhees for helping my children get their Christmas priorities right.

The annual Hafen family Christmas party is something I look forward to every year. I love to spend an evening during the Christmas season with all the people I love the most. This year the party was the Monday before Christmas. We enjoyed great food, a nice program and most of all, each others' company.

This year I feel that we have been extraordinarily blessed and I really wanted to give above and beyond my own family. I was talking to the mom of one of Lance's school friends and she mentioned that she wasn't sure they would be able to have much of a Christmas this year. She got laid off from her job and has had back problems among other things. I decided to give her a Wal-Mart gift card so she could buy her children a few things. You know that warm feeling that you're supposed to get when you do something good? Well, I felt it so strong that I was almost crying as I gave her the gift card. I was trying to do something nice for someone else and I feel like I got the gift. Also, when I was finishing up my shopping at Toys R Us I grabbed a few things that I wasn't planning on getting. As I wrapped up all the gifts I felt like I should give those last minute things to my friend who is going through a divorce for her kids. It was another "warm, fuzzy" moment. Maybe next year I will give our whole Christmas away!

Then the long-awaited day finally came. My favorite part of Christmas is the excitement and joy the kids show when they open their presents (although I kind of wish that that was possible without the toys. Where can I get a box of joy?) Lance's favorite present was the basketball hoop. He didn't get the corn seeds he asked for, but maybe the Easter Bunny can bring those. Luke's favorite was the Joker action figure so he can say, "Looks like the joke's on you, Joker!" Lacey's favorite gift was the princess dress-up clothes. Lia got a new swing, Alex got a new sleeping bag, and I got a new car radio with satellite. That day we also went to both of the grandparents' houses to share gifts and food with our extended family. It was a great day.

I have to include that while we should think of Christ all year long, the Christmas season puts Him in the forefront of my mind. We give gifts to symbolize the gifts the wisemen brought to the baby Jesus, but also to symbolize that Jesus gave us the ultimate gift. Everything that I love most-my children, my husband, my extended family, the gospel-I have because of Christ. So Merry Christmas and God bless us every one!

No comments: