Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let Them Be Little

A few weeks ago I took the kids to two different events without Alex. One was a family reunion and the other was a campaign pool party at a local city pool. The kids seemed to have a good time at both events, but I did not. I was busy making sure they didn't get lost or kill themselves. It was frustrating because I wanted to visit and relax, but there wasn't too much of that for me. So the day after the pool party, I was looking at my sister-in-law's blog (Hafen Zoo) and she had this song on her playlist. "Let them cry, them them giggle, let them sleep in the middle. Oh, but let them be little." Well, I was just bawling. I won't have to look after them every second for very much longer, and I'll probably be sad when I realize that they don't need me as much. This song is also appropriate because Alex loves it when the kids crawl in bed with us (me, not so much). But after hearing this song, I felt much better and less frustrated. That is the power of blogging!

5 comments:

The Zoo Keeper said...

It makes me sad when I think of how fast they grow-up!! If only we could always have a baby in the house!! I find myself singing that song in my head almost ever day! another great song is "your gonna miss this!"

Rebecca and Co. said...

That is soooo true. Especially when they get into school....suddenly time speeds fast (at least for me). Once I asked my mil what her favorite age of her children was, and she said, "Whatever stage they're in now." I kind of feel the same. I love when they're little, but when they accomplish something new or say something insightful, I love that too. It' good to look at the bright side and live in the moment. (Easier said than done!)

A New Decade of Health said...

I was blog-hopping, my new hobby, and found Danette's blog and then found yours! It's so good to see your family! I love catching up with old friends through blogs. (Sorry about the "old" part.)

A New Decade of Health said...

You can totally put me on your list!

Lori said...

I have found that it is much easier to enjoy a younger child when you have older kids to help out. When they are all close in age it is pretty difficult to keep up, especially without Dad around. I'm really enjoying Sophie and I think it is because I have so much help.