Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Song is a Wonderful Kind of Thing


I have been in many church callings in my life, but by far my favorite has been being Primary chorister. I have never felt the Spirit like I have each week singing those Primary songs. They are simple yet powerful. They teach the doctrines of the restored Gospel. My heart is touched each week as those sweet children sing so beautifully, and the Holy Ghost witnesses that what we are singing about is true, absolutely true. One Sunday I was teaching the hymn "Praise to the Man" and I told them a little bit about the life of Joseph Smith. Tears were pouring out of my eyes as I gave my testimony of that prophet and restorer of the true church of Jesus Christ. The children sat in rapt attention and I knew that they were also feeling the Holy Ghost in their hearts. A few weeks later my own son gave the family home evening lesson and repeated, almost word for word, what I had said. If he learned that important bit of information, I'm sure others did.

So it is with great sadness and reluctance that today I had to give up that calling to accept another calling. I tried to talk them into letting me keep it until the Primary program in October, but they didn't think it was a good idea. Sad, sad, sad. However, my new calling also has to do with music. I am the new ward music chairperson. That means I coordinate the Sacrament Meeting hymns, schedule musical numbers and supervise the ward choir, among other things. The first and second counselor in the bishopric reminded me that the Lord calls people He need for particular callings at particular times, and I always try to be where I'm supposed to be and do what the Lord wants me to do. But I will certainly miss Primary.

2 comments:

Rebecca and Co. said...

Oh Carmen! I know how much you loved your calling in Primary. I feel for you. You loved it and were very good at it, and the kids will always remember how awesome you were. I know you will do a great job in your new calling, too. Maybe you can have some of those cute kids do musical numbers. :)

Unknown said...

It's so hard to leave a calling you love - I'm so sorry!

The person who's taking your place -- how does he/she feel about taking it on so close to the Primary Program. We actually ended up moving our Program because we couldn't put it together in time after the previous Presidency was released.

Good luck with your new calling - I love our current music person's focus on having a musical number each week. It's such a nice addition to the meetings.